RC Symposium: Lives on the Move
Lives on the Move – conditions in the altered state of borders
The program accompanying Black Disguises exhibition
20 February 2018, 17:00 – 20:00, MMSU
Following the motto of the international project RISK CHANGE, Migration is a natural law: everything moves, everybody migrates, this symposium aims to raise questions about limitations on today’s mobility. As the program that runs parallel to Black Disguises exhibition, it gathers theorists and empiricists of different profiles and thematizes the extremes of modern society. One the one side – movability, mobility and intercultural cooperation, on the other – border control, exile and exclusion. By reflecting on the relationships of social politics, cultural practices and migration processes, the symposium promotes interdisciplinary cooperation and encourages an exchange of experiences and perspectives with the audience. It intends to confirm migrations as a general principle, exploring their real and fictional possibilities outside the scope of the given borders. It draws attention to the risks of change and describes the (im)possibilities of finding one’s way in the situations of poor security, disorientation and a desperate struggle for optimism and togetherness in the times of building walls.
- Jelena Prtorić (independent journalist): Life in front of the border – unwanted guests at Europe’s door
- Marijana Hameršak and Iva Pleše (Institute of Ethnology and Folklore Research, Zagreb): Ethnography and refugee camp in Slavonski Brod
- Marko Luka Zubčić (doctorand of “Philosophy and Contemporariness” at the University of Rijeka): Disequilibrium utility: bad bets and basic goods
- Renato Stanković (Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences, Department of Cultural Studies, University of Rijeka): Cultural policies as social policies
- Valentina Radoš (Museum of Fine Arts, Osijek): 25th Slavonian biennial and making things visible
After the symposium, at 20:00, the Dance Ensemble of the Primary School for Classical Ballet and Contemporary Dance at “Vežica” Primary School will give a dance performance entitled Migrations.
Choreographer: Kate Foley
Dancers: Jana Budiša, Katja Butković, Lara Drljača and Jana Jakšić
Below are some photos from the symposium.